Sunday, November 16, 2014

Blog Post #13

What did I leave out?
Create an assignment for a Blog Post I should have created in your area of specialty.

How will you use technology in your classroom to keep parents involved and informed? What will you do for parents/guardians without internet access?

Read the following:
-A Guide to Involving Parents in Your Class Blog
-Keep parents in the loop with a class website
-Using a classroom webpage to communicate with parents

-After reading the following, find one type of technology to use in your classroom for parents/guardians to be added to this list. Explain how you will use this in your classroom and what you will do for parents that do not have internet access.
Answer the question in a post that adheres to the standards found in the ACCRS and in Writing A Quality Blog Post.

Image of the Homeroom app

For the assignment I chose the app "Homeroom". This app allows parents to be involved in the classroom and have access to their child's class at all times. To view this app and your child's classroom you must have a password so only family and the teacher has access. Parents can get updates on their phone when new information is added and even comment and 'like' pictures that have been posted.This app is available on any device so parents have a range of options to view this app. When I begin to use the app in my future classroom I would like to have a meeting with the parents of my class to share with them how the app works and why I want to use it in my classroom. During this time I will have computers and iPads set up so parents who may not have a smartphone will see how the app works. I will provide the option for parents to visit the classroom on certain days or at the end of the day to come and use the technology in my room to view that app to see what their student is doing. Parents who do have smart phones will have access to this app at all times and will be able to check what their student has been doing throughout the day or week and be able to ask them questions about what they are specifically doing in class. I plan to use this in my classroom on a daily basis. I will allow students to post their own pictures from class on the website of projects being done in the classroom. When going on field trips I can create a specific album with the pictures taken from that day and parents can add pictures from the trip to that album so that everyone will be able to view what the children did on the field trip. Projects, activities, and school events will have albums so that pictures can be added so parents will feel more involved even though they were not there. I found this app to be very useful and it is a free app that is easily accessible.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Julie!
    I like this because I've barely even considered parent involvement throughout this whole class, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. That app does seem really useful and safer than having something like a class Facebook page or blog since there has to be a password to view it. For parents that don't have internet access, maybe you could send home a weekly newsletter or something along those lines in addition to allowing them to come into the classroom.
    Anyway, this is a great post!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete