Sunday, October 5, 2014

Blog Post #7

How do we all become learners?

quote about project based learning

1:Project Based Learning is becoming more and more important in schools every year. I hope to frequently involve PBL in my future classroom. Currently I am still in school acquiring the knowledge necessary to use PBL in an effective way. I believe that I will be able to appropriately use PBL in my classroom because I am excited about the material, I am organized, I am willing to accept suggestions, and I will do the research necessary to find the best project for my students.Although I may have some skills for teaching project based learning I am not quite prepared. I will need to work on my procrastination, on making myself knowledgeable on popular technology used in classrooms, and learn to make a complete and correct lesson plan. In the next year and a half before I graduate I need to educate myself in several areas to better understand how to accurately use project based learning with my students. I would like to build up my PLN which I have based around PBL. The more research I do to build up my PLN, the more I will find out about project based learning. Getting familiarized with popular technology and websites will allow me to find better activities for my students and be able to create better activities. Ultimately, I need to educate myself better with project based learning and understand the process of creating an effective lesson plan.

2: Summarize what you've learned

How to make an audio QR code
In this video I learned about audio QR codes. It is an easy way to record yourself and provide a code for people to use and listen to your recording. You start by going to record mp3 and making a recording of your choosing. Next, you will copy the URL given to you from the website and go to a QR code generator.From the generation page you can choose multiple ways to create your QR code. In this video, URL was chosen. You will paste in your URL in the shown area and a QR code will be created for your use. This is a great resource for teachers. Teachers could record themselves reading a book and give the students the QR code. Students can use parents phone to scan the code and hear the book and follow along.

iPad in the reading center
In this video I learned of a fun activity that involves students using iPads in the reading center. Ginger Tuck shared her idea of using iPads as a learning tool for the students. The children can record themselves reading then play it back and follow along in the book. This will help students identify their mistakes and help them correct their flaws.

Poplet as a center
In this video Ginger Tuck explained how students can use poplet as an activity in class.Students can use poplet to create an idea web. Student adds in pictures, phrases, and sentences. This allows for students to practice their typing skills while learning more about the topic of their lesson. This activity is great for many lessons and subjects. Students could use poplet for learning about a specific animal or understanding a book.

Alabama Virtual Library as a Kindergarten Center
In the video I learned about the Alabama Virtual Library and that it is an easily accessible app. This app can be used a search tool in the classroom. In the app, you are provided with pictures, audio clips, and videos to help you with your search. This will be a safe and useful resource to use in the classroom.

How to use and build a board in DE for a project based lesson
In this video I learned how to create a board in Discovery Education. This is a simple project that can be used in most grades. A student will follow the steps necessary to create a new board. Next you type in your title. From this point you can add in photos, phrases, sentences, and facts about your topic. Students can also get the information they need for their board from the Discovery Education website.

Students sharing board builder 1 & 2
In this video I saw boards created by students at Gulf Shores Elementary.This video showed me that boards are something that are easy, fun, and informative to students. This will be a great tool to use in my future classroom for PBL.

Using iMovie in kindergarten
In this video I learned that you should never underestimate the minds of your students. Kindergarten students are capable of using iMovie to create book trailers in class. This is great for students to help them understand books and their main ideas while having fun.

We all become learners
In this video I learned that I will always be learning as a teacher. No matter what grade you are teaching you will be amazed at what your students know and what they can teach you. Being a teacher means always being a learner.

quote about teachers being learners

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,
    Great post!! I stay amazed on how far technology in the classroom has come. I found making the QR code was a lot easier than it looked. I really liked your quote at the end! :)

    ReplyDelete